Saudi Arabia has approved the inclusion of Pakistani-origin holders of Pakistan Origin Cards (POCs) in Pakistan's Hajj quota for 2027, allowing them to perform the pilgrimage under the country's allocated quota for the first time. According to Pakistan's Ministry of Religious Affairs, the decision opens a route to Hajj for foreign nationals of Pakistani descent who had previously given up their Pakistani citizenship.

The announcement, reported on August 13, 2026, marks a notable shift in how Pakistan distributes its Hajj places. It ties a defined share of the national quota to the Pakistani diaspora, subject to Saudi visa rules.

How the new arrangement works

Under the arrangement, one percent of Pakistan's total Hajj quota will be reserved for POC holders. This translates to 1,792 Pakistani-origin POC holders who will be eligible to perform Hajj in 2027 under Pakistan's quota.

The facility applies to foreign nationals of Pakistani origin who were previously citizens of Pakistan but later surrendered their Pakistani nationality and passport. The Pakistan Origin Card is issued to such individuals under the relevant rules, and it now serves as the basis for their eligibility.

Applicants will be able to choose between the government and private Hajj schemes, the ministry said. This mirrors the options already available to resident Pakistani pilgrims and gives POC holders flexibility in cost and service level.

Participation, however, is conditional. The ministry noted that eligibility depends on there being no legal or administrative obstacles to the issuance of Saudi visas. In practice, this means an approved POC status alone does not guarantee a place; the applicant must also clear the visa requirements set by Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Hajj and Umrah.

What applicants should watch for

The Ministry of Religious Affairs said it will publish detailed terms and conditions for POC holders on its official website. The application process will incorporate the requirements set by the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, so prospective pilgrims should expect the same documentation and health standards that apply to other international applicants.

The ministry has also begun an awareness drive to inform POC holders about the new facility and its conditions. That effort is important, because many in the diaspora may be unaware that a diaspora-specific allocation now exists.

The move comes amid broader debate over Pakistan's Hajj planning. The National Assembly Standing Committee on Religious Affairs recently raised objections to the Hajj Policy for 2027 to 2030, questioning the role of the parliamentary committee when final decisions rest with the federal cabinet. That discussion is separate from the POC decision but signals close scrutiny of how quota policy is set.

For context, Pakistan concluded its 2026 Hajj operation earlier this year, under which roughly 179,000 Pakistanis performed the pilgrimage. Interest in 2027 has been strong, with the government reporting more than 100,000 registrations in the first five days of its sign-up drive.

Practical guidance for POC holders

Anyone hoping to use the new allocation should prepare early. The places are limited to 1,792, and demand across the global Pakistani diaspora could be high.

First, confirm that your Pakistan Origin Card is valid and that your records are current. Second, monitor the Ministry of Religious Affairs website for the published terms and conditions, which will set out deadlines, fees, and required documents. Third, decide between the government and private schemes based on your budget and the level of accommodation and transport you want.

Finally, check your eligibility for a Saudi visa well ahead of time. Because participation depends on there being no legal or administrative barrier to a Saudi visa, resolving any outstanding issues early can prevent a place from being lost at the final stage. Pilgrims should also ensure they meet the standard health requirements, including required vaccinations, before applying.